Tuesday 24 May 2016

There and back in less than 48 hours

Last week that wretched cancer struck again and took with it one great man. Foua was my seminary teach for 4 years back when I was a teenager. Every morning we would file into Mele and Foua's home or the Primary rooms at the chapel. I probably couldn't tell you too much of the specifics of what I actually learnt in those 4 years but I barely missed a day and passed off all 100 scripture masteries front and back word perfect every time. There was something about that classroom that was different. Mele and Foua poured so much love and dedication into us that you could not help but think you were just a little bit special. Despite what was going on at home or school you knew without a doubt that they loved you and loved you fiercely. There were times when Mele would let loose when she thought we were being disrespectful or just needed a talking to. Foua would come a long behind her and be the calm in the storm. He was good like that. Mele taught Monday-Thursday and Foua did Friday scripture mastery. Those were the best days. It was also a treat when Mele was sick.... I know everyone who had the privileged of being taught by them will be forever effected by the love that was shown them. 

So with that said when I learnt of Foua's passing last week I ummed and ahhed about whether to go. I had always planned on going but was kind of hoping it would be after tax time as last minute tickets aren't the cheapest of things to buy. Nevertheless my sweet husband could see that I really wanted to go and that it was upsetting me not to be there. I guess Heavenly Father knew too because on Firday afternoon our final mortgage approval went through which freed up our bank accounts. Aarahi told me to go and not worry about the kids he would figure it out. So at 9pm Saturday night I booked tickets and left for the airport 30mins later! First stop Auckland. I had a 5 hour layover here, arriving at 5am. Shane, Teri, Teuila and Khyber came and had breakfast with me for a few hours before I left again. At 10am I left for Wellington arriving at 11am. Mei is studying at Vic Uni and came and had lunch and hung out for 3 hours. Mei is my first baby and I find it hard to accept that she is at Uni. I left Wellington on the bus at 330 and finally arrived into Palmy at 6pm. After a quick hello to everyone at home I headed out to pick Anita up....I went to the wrong house, super embarrassing. Anyway we made it over to the Brown's where Foua was laying. It was somewhat surreal and sent me right back to 7 years ago when Alby died. It was both comforting and upsetting at the same time. We found Mele and gave her a hug. She gives nice squishy hugs. 
I made it to bed at midnight and got up at 7am to the rest of my siblings had arrived from Auckland and were now spread out on the lounge room floor. I made a quick dash to Grand-graemes and tried to fix his heat-pump but no luck. On the way home I saw a teddy bear laying out in the gutter in the pouring rain. I watch too much Doc McStuffins so I couldn't just leave it there. Turned around and picked it up, took it home washed it and chucked it in the dryer. Lili loves it. 
The funeral was lovely. It was like one big reunion. There were people I haven't seen since I was a child. YOu could see the huge influence this great man had had on so many. Seminary students travelled from near and far to be there. People who have probably never been back to church in many many years sat there and sung Families can be Together Forever with more meaning than ever before. 
I made it back to Wellington in time for my 4pm flight to Sydney and then on to Melbourne eventually making it home at 11pm Monday night, not even 48 hours after I left. It was one crazy weekend that I am so glad I embarked on for many reasons. I am so thankful that I was blessed enough to be loved by this wonderful man. 

2 comments:

  1. Mean read! Cool blog Candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Candy and even made me giggle...he was so soft on you guys hahahaha but you are right...loves you all fiercely!!!as do I <3 Thank you for making the journey. Love that man of yours big big <3 Love you honey <3

    ReplyDelete